Friday 3 April 2009

Proud owner of an overgrown plot

At some point over the weekend of 7-8 March I decided that my 40ft x 20ft back garden wasn't big enough for fruit, veg, flowers, patio and a dog run. Something had to give, and it would have to be the fruit and veg. (The kids would never forgive me if I got rid of the dog!!)

A couple of hours later, I had a lightbulb moment - get an allotment to grow the fruit and veg. I decided to go down to the allotment and put myself on the waiting list.

On Monday morning I took the kids to school and walked down the hill to the allotment. The Secretary asked me to come back on Wednesday morning. Me and the dog had a wander around; I could see a few overgrown plots though that doesn't necessarily mean that they're vacant. I was feeling optimistic and hoping I wouldn't have to wait too long for a plot.

Wednesday morning came and I went back down there again. Asked nicely please could I have a plot with a shed. The Secretary smiled ruefully and said the plot didn't have a shed, sorry. OK, can't expect everything to go my way, I'm about to get a plot so I'll sort something out about a shed - somehow. He took me over to have a look. Long, thin and full of weeds, as expected. Then he had a lightbulb moment, there's another plot about half the size of this one that had recently been given up, do I want to have a look. As we approach it he says "Oh, it's got a shed on it too". Blessings from Heaven. I've got to admit I fell in love with the plot there and then. Love at first sight. Just show me where to sign.

So, as of 11 March, I'm the proud owner of a lovely flat plot (many are on a slope), facing East-West so it will catch the sun all day. It's 96ft x 24ft - and like the other plot full of weeds - couch grass (twitch?), nettles and docks. 2300 sq ft of perennial weeds to get rid of, and no bonfires allowed on site after 31 March (until Autumn). Can I do the whole plot in 20 days? Doubt it. I'm not used to hard work, so I think it'll be 'little and often' for me!

Here's a short video I took that day, showing the view from my shed.






And here's a couple of pics taken yesterday. I've dug over a couple of plots of about 10ftx 10ft each, but I can't decide whether to go with beds separated by paths or strips running across the allotment.





And today, I've joined the 2 beds together, though I still can't decide on the layout!



Anyway tomorrow's Grand National day so I'll be at work (in the bookies), so I won't be back on the allotment until Sunday at least. All I can hear in my head is "it's April and you have to get potatoes and onions in this month". So much to do, so little time.